Friday, July 29, 2016

Traveling with Diabetes

Wow!  Has it really been nearly two months since my last post?!  I apologize to my readers!  My only excuse - it's summer. And summer means travelling. 

This summer my family and I took off on a trip across Eastern Canada in a 30 year old RV that my husband and his brother bought for next to nothing. It was soon apparent exactly WHY this RV was being sold so cheaply. But that's a topic for another post on another blog. 

So, 2 weeks, 4 people, 1 RV and 1 diabetic. How to make it all work?

First thing we did was make sure that the refrigerator was working while the RV was running - and while we were parked but without electrical hook ups, to ensure my insulin could stay cool in the fridge.  Once we established that, my next task was to see if I could find my Frio wallet.  This near little piece of equipment is filled with gel beads that you activate by putting it in cold water for about 15 minutes. It stays cool for up to 3 days and doesn't get moldy. Very handy when you're exploring Quebec City on foot wth nothing but a back pack. Frio has several sizes. Check out their site to find what works best for you. My wallet holds 2 pens, but I only carry one. 

The other important thing to ensure is proper equipment. When packing for a trip as a diabetic it is important to be vigilant as to what you're going to need. This is what I carried in my bag that came with me everywhere:

  • A glucose monitor, lancing device and strips
  •  Hand sanitizer (you can't always get to a bathroom to wash your hands)
  • My Frio wallet with an Apidra pen
  • Pen needles
  • Glucose tabs. At least a pack of 8. The Dex 4 tube is what I usually carry, but I use no name tabs that I buy at the drugstore in larger bottles 
  • Candy or other sweets in case the glucose tabs run out
  • Granola bars 
  • Beef jerky or nuts
  • A card with emergency info on it identifying me as a diabetic. 
I'm sure people have variations on this list. When I'm at home, this is a much shorter list. But when you're travelling, you have to be ready for eventualities. Even when I play slo pitch, I have snacks and sweets in my kit. 

In addition to the above, what I kept in a bag in the RV was an extra monitor and test strips, a large bottle of Dex 4 tabs to refill the small tube, extra lancets and juice boxes. Lows can come at any time. So can highs. And when you're travelling, it's not always easy to eat as carefully as you might usually at home. 

For example, we were in New Brunswick where lobster is so fresh and delicious. But we stayed with friends who made lobster rolls for dinner. I couldn't say no because that would be rude. So I ate a lobster roll. And Oh Em Gee!! It was heaven. 

Travelling with diabetes doesn't have to be hard, as long as you are careful and prepared. 

What do you carry with you when you travel? Let me know in the comments. 

2 comments:

  1. Never heard of the Frio! That is brilliant. I need to look it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lifesaver. Especially if I know I'm going to be out for a while and it's going to be warm. For example, we get seasons passes to the amusement park near our house. I carry insulin with me everywhere and while I can leave it in the one and only first aid station, I don't want to be without it. So I carry it in my Frio wallet and know that it will stay cool. I also use their access for disabled patrons which means I can sign into a ride, come back at the specified time and stay out of the sun for the wait time.

      Although, with the Frio wallet, I can just wander around like everyone else and stand in line like everyone else. If I ever go to a pump, that may change.

      Delete