Saturday, December 16, 2017

A Post, An Apology and A Review

Life sometimes gets in the way of things we enjoy doing.  I wish I could say that life was the reason this blog sort of.... stopped.  I can't really explain what happened and why I stopped.  But I'm back and I apologize for disappearing.  It's been a year - and that's WAY too  long.

I also have to apologize to the companies that sent me Glucose Monitors to review.  I used them all, but I haven't posted the reviews.  So today, I am going to start by reviewing a couple of monitors I was sent by Oracle Diabetes Products.

********************************************************************************

The Review.

So, Oracle  sent me two of their glucose monitors, a box of lancets, some cute note pads (that I keep by the side of my bed), Control Solution and test strips. 

Oracle Monitor

The first monitor I tried was the EZ Health Talking Glucose Monitor.  It is absolutely the cutest monitor I have ever used.  It spoke every time I inserted a strip, and told me the ambient temperature where I was testing my sugar. 

Unlike the usual black or grey, this one is a bright orange.  I didn't get to the point where I would have measurable ketones in my blood, so I never did hear the ketone warning.  The volume control is easy to manage so that you don't shock the people around you with the sudden sound of the monitor talking.

I frequent enough pharmacies that I tend to peek over the counter to see what strips are available, and I have to admit, I didn't see the EZ Health readily available.  But according to their website, there are several pharmacies (some of which I don't frequent) that carry this brand, such as PharmaSave.  Keep your eyes out for them, if you choose this monitor.

I think, based on the website and the unit itself, that this particular monitor might be geared towards children.  Certainly, the colour and the talking features would make this particular monitor attractive to children. 

But I have to admit - I enjoyed using it as well. 

One
The second monitor Oracle sent my was the Onyx.  It is similar to the Contour USB in the shape and size, but is much smaller and lighter.  It takes the same strips as the EZ Health talking monitor and is just as easy to set up and use. 

I used this one for a shorter amount of time as I had limited strips, but it was certainly easy to read and easy to use and set up. 

I particularly liked that both monitors would give a happy or sad face depending on the readings.  It's sort of a fun change from the usual.

Both monitors are easy to set up and easy to use, taking some of the stress away from a newly diagnosed person. 

The talking monitor, which also tells you the ambient temperature is definitely useful for a newly diagnosed person as it can give them an idea of how temperature might affect their blood sugars.

All in all, I highly recommend these monitors for newly diagnosed people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment