Thursday, May 12, 2016

First Meter Review!

I completed my first review of a glucose meter and am ready to share it with you now.

I started reviewing the One Touch Verio Flex.  This is one I was excited to try.  It comes with Bluetooth capabilities and links to an app on your phone very easily.  I'll go through the process as I go through this review.


The app icon
The Flex is very easy to use, as are most glucose monitors, to be honest.   Test strips range in price based on where you buy your strips.  Costco Pharmacy sells them for about $75 for 100.  Shoppers Drug Mart sells them for about $85. The strips can be used on the Verio, Verio IQ and Verio Flex interchangeably - which is nice if you have strips for one and get a different Verio meter from your previous.







Setting up the Bluetooth to talk to my phone was no problem.  Easy peasy.  You turn on the meter, make sure the Bluetooth is on on the meter and your phone and wait for the app to 'discover' your meter.  Your meter will have an identification name/number that you will enter into the app, and then, your app and meter can chat with each other. 








Chart showing tagged
and untagged readings
One of the great things about the Bluetooth capabilities that I really liked was that I could use the meter as I usually do, throughout the day, and then upload all the information at the end of the day.  I didn't have to enter anything manually unless I used a different meter.  The front of the meter shows whether or not your blood sugar is in range (a range you select in the app, which you can customize in the app - the ranges on the meter and the app may differ).








Manually Entered
reading
Manually Entered and
uploaded readings
What I found very interesting with this meter is that when you manually enter your information, it will differentiate between meter readings and manual inputs with a different font, which is kind of neat.  At a quick glance you can tell which readings came from where.  Same goes for whether you've tagged any of your readings.  The chart (pictured to the left) differentiates between readings that are tagged, and before and after meals. 






Manual Entry Screen
All of the readings are kept in an easy to read format.  You can enter pretty much any information you want to keep track of.  There is an area for notes, so if you take a fasting reading, you can note that.  Otherwise, before and after meals is your only option.  You can also note in the app your insulin dose, and your activity and grams of carbs at your meal.  What I could not find was a capability to access nutritional information for food - which some apps do allow.  You could always look it up with an app such as My Fitness Pal, and enter the food in your notes, but having a search capability for foods is one of those "not necessary, but nice to have" features in some other apps.



All in all, this meter is a great meter - really easy to use, and the app is very user-friendly as well as easy to navigate. I've used other OneTouch meters in the past (reviews for those are upcoming).

One feature that I miss on the Flex and the regular Verio (review upcoming) that the IQ has is that the screen is not backlit, and if you want to test in a darker setting, say early in the morning when you wake up, or if you wake in the middle of the night and need to test, there's no light where you insert your strip (I'll discuss this further in my review of the IQ, but it is a feature of the IQ that I quite enjoy.  I hate turning on my lamp if it's dark and my plan is to test then go back to sleep). 

Opinion:  Great meter for everyone.  The display is large enough to read.  Fantastic for the tech savvy because hey, who doesn't like techy stuff?  I loved the Bluetooth capabilities.

Wish List: A light in the strip port (like on the IQ), and/or a backlit screen; access to a food list for carb calculation through the app.

No comments:

Post a Comment