Tuesday, May 17, 2016

First Time Playing Slo-Pitch as a Diabetic

Tonight I play my first Slo-Pitch game in more than 10 years.  Last time I played my kids were very young, I was 10 years younger and I wasn't diabetic.

I have played some form of baseball for a large part of my life.  T-Ball when I was little, Softball when I was a little older (between 8-11, I think).  Slo-Pitch as an adult in a recreational league.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little nervous. 

Not because of the diabetes - I know what to do if I feel low, and I keep myself pretty well controlled.  I've also told my coach (well, Team Rep - we're adults.  We don't need no stinkin' coaches!  Plus, we're a recreational league) and my teammates that I'm diabetic. 

That said, I still have to make sure I am prepared for any possible emergency that may arise.

So, I'm packing my kit to make sure that I am prepared for any eventuality.  Here's what will be coming with me weekly to my games:

 Baseball gear - that should be obvious.

Diabetes gear:

In a cooler I will pack weekly I will have:

A "Diabetes Alerts" sheet, which lists symptoms of hypo and hyperglycemia and how to treat them.
An ID card with similar information. 
Several bottles of water.  It gets hot in Ontario, even at night.  And it's humid here - especially in July and August.
Glucose tabs.  Some people don't like them.  I do.  I'm weird.
Juice boxes.  Probably just one or two.
Granola Bars - they usually travel well, don't go bad, and aren't gross to eat squashed.
A glucose monitor, lancing device, test strips.  If I'm acting weird, I need to be able to test and see if I'm low.
Insulin. I'll have my Apidra (fast acting) with me each week because a) we may go out to the bar afterwards and b) if my sugar goes high, I need to be able to treat that.
Ice packs - insulin doesn't like being out in the heat. 

I also wear a MedicAlert bracelet and recently got this really nice one...

I think that's about it. 

How about you?  What do you keep in your bag when you go out for an extended period of time - or know you'll be spending a lot of time being active?

No comments:

Post a Comment