Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Navigating Amusement Parks as a Diabetic.

This summer, my family and I bought Seasons Passes for our local amusement park. Because it's summer and summer is hot, it's a nice place to spend a day, and even use the water park to cool off with.

However, being a diabetic also means that I carry insulin and snacks with me.  And most amusement parks don't allow outside food (unless you're awesome, like Disney).  Our local park does not allow food in.  But I can't be standing in line trying to get a snack if my sugar drops, and I can't be standing around in the heat if my sugar is going up. 

We went yesterday (Victoria Day) to our local park and I figured it was as good a time as any to test out some of their policies for patrons with disabilities (diabetes is considered a disability in terms of access and accommodations).

First test - passing security with snacks and an insulin needle in my bag...  When we got to the front of the security line and he opened my bag he saw the granola bar and snack cakes.  I explained I'm a diabetic and I need to carry snacks.  He said it was no problem and waved us through.  First 'test' passed. 

Next, since it was really hot out yesterday, and I had insulin in my bag, I didn't think it was a good idea to be standing in line in the heat while my insulin boiled.  So I asked at the Ride Accommodation window what could be done.  I was given a form to take to any ride I want to go on, and any one in my party could go up the exit ramp to the ride operator and get a loading time.  Then all we had to do was return to the ride at the time on the form, and we could get on.  That way, my insulin could stay in my bag and stay cool, and I could go somewhere air conditioned to make sure the bag didn't overheat.

This accommodation is available for anyone with accessibility issues, ASD or physical disabilities.  So long as the person meets specific requirements (being able to hold their centre of gravity on their own, have at least one good arm and leg in order to hold on to the ride, and be able to hold themselves upright in a seated position).

Alternatively, there is a fridge at the First Aid station where my insulin can also be stored for the day.  The only problem with that is if I need my insulin and I'm on the other side of the park, I could find myself in trouble.  But there are options and it's nice to know that they are there for the asking.

Make sure you know what accommodations are available to you, or someone you know, with diabetes.  Or with any other health issue.  You might be surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment